Monday, March 26, 2012

Review of Lemon Curd by Homa Pourasgari

This book re taught me a valuable lesson, one that we try and teach our kids on a regular basis. But even though we teach our children, we sometimes forget how important those lessons are in our own lives.
I do love to read and I have been trying to get reviews, by many different authors, different genres, and this specific book, didn't seem as interesting to me as it ended up being. I was more interested in the author, and was anxious to read her books. (Luckily, I received 2 books from this author, both of which ended up being 2 of my favorites and will be re read again!)
This story follows Anna Lisa, through her career, boyfriend, who she for some reason adores, (you will either relate through a relationship of your own, or through a friends odd admiration for such a jerk! Lol!) and her day to day life, as a very busy career woman. Sounds a little boring? I thought so to, but it starts to get much more interesting, pretty quick in the book.
Neil Scott Whittaker, a rude, British, executive from her firm's London office, comes to Anna Lisa's firm to share her office and her client. Not only does he come off as a well, jerk, he also shares her love for Lemon Curd. (Anna Lisa's first encounter with Neil Scott Whittaker, where he practically steals the last jar of Lemon Curd from the shelf) I wish I could've shared my citrus curd recipe with her;)
The story goes through a few months of their lives, Neil's rich and spoiled brat fiance, (another you can possibly relate to knowing), Anna Lisa and her job, family, boyfriend, ugh, Paul, Paul's "mistress", another type I am sure most can relate to knowing, and to make it worse, both Paul and Kimberly, work at Anna Lisa's office.
This book is one of those "not able to put down" books. If you're anything like me, you will get angry at the boyfriend, and Neil and Neil's fiance, well and Kimberly will just get your blood boiling! I read this book in 2 hours, maybe a little less, and I have never read a book like this one, so I surprised myself.
I do thoroughly enjoy Homa's way of writing. She keeps it interesting, doesn't overdo it, and seems to have a very natural way of getting her point across, conveying all the feelings to the reader,all without even trying. She reminds me a bit of 2 of my favorite authors, V.C Andrews and John Saul. (not the same types of stories, but what I have gotten from their books, I have from Homa's as well)
She also grabs your attention many times in this book, (which I must add, is her 1st novel!) and when you think your nerves are calmed down a bit, Paul or Sarah (Neil's fiance), do or say something else to make you want to scream!
At the same time, Anna Lisa learns to never judge a book by it's cover, I learned the same, again. I didn't expect what I read from the short description, and seemingly simple cover, and Anna Lisa, didn't quite expect what was happening in her life, all due to that rude, annoying Neil.
Between lots of craziness, mishaps, and heart breaking moments, the inevitable happens, thank goodness, and you will end up happy for your new friend, Anna Lisa.

Homa is a fascinating person, not to mention, I share most of her political and life views. I enjoy reading her blog, and I am looking forward to her next book!
Head over to Homa's website to learn more about her, and her amazing books!
You can also visit her blog here.

About Homa;


Homa Pourasgari resides in Los Angeles, California. She received a degree in Business from Loyola Marymount University, after which she left to live in Paris for one year and attended the University of Sorbonne, focusing on literature. Multilingual, she has been traveling since the age of 5 and has experienced many different cultures. Homa has worked in various industries such as marketing, retail, banking, accounting and fitness but has always returned to her true love – writing. She is currently working on a new book. Lemon Curd is her first novel.

You can also follow Homa on Twitter here!
Want to win a copy of Lemon Curd for yourself? Stay tuned for up and coming details on how to enter our giveaway!!

**I received a copy of this book in return for my review**

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the introduction to this author,sounds interesting !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome :)
      Thank you very much for the comment!!
      Her books are great and I am very happy to have been able to have read them! She certainly is unique!

      Delete